Wednesday 20 July 2016

Midnight Train Part 2

For part one click here 
For audio click here 
The cell was bright and clean. I was wearing a grey jump suit that the Germans had given me when they took my clothes away. I needed a hug, I’d tried wrapping my arms around myself but that hadn’t worked. How long were they going to keep my here? It was the silence I couldn’t stand. It was deathly quiet apart from the ticking of the clock on the wall. Despite technically being caught on East German soil with no passport, I was in a West German cell. I think even the stern East German guard had taken pity on me. I’d caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window as they led me off that train and I really had looked my age.
I looked around the cell, apart from the clock there was only, the table and two empty chairs and a security camera in the corner, staring down at me. Were they watching me now? I stared at the camera, then at the clock and then back at the camera.  
When the door finally opened and a large man came in. He smiled. I didn’t.
“Gutentag, Tony, I’m Helmut,” he said. I shrugged, I didn’t give a toss who he was.  There were large bags under his eyes and he had swollen nose that looked like it might burst any moment.
“Would you like to tell me how you were on a train in West Berlin with no passport and no money?” With each word I got a whiff of his garlicky breath.
I shrugged again. The door opened and a woman brought in a tray with two cups of coffee. She lay them on the table and left. Helmut nodded at the cups and I took one.
“Got a cigarette,” I said.
“Aren’t you a bit young to smoke.”
“Give me a cigarette and I’ll tell you my story.”
He got out a soft top pack of HBs, shook two out and handed me one.”
I tried not to cough as I took in the smoke, I had smoked before, to impress Laura down the park. But I hadn’t like it much, and after Laura had got off with Mark, well I’d not had need to smoke again.
“So?” Helmut looked at me.
“I was abducted,” I said.
“Abducted?” the policeman echoed me, placing the cigarettes and matches in between us.
“Yes, I was walking to school in Carlisle, where I live, I live in Carlisle, in England. Anyway I was walking to school when I was bundled into a van by two men.”
Helmut looked at me. I took in, and blew out a mouthful of smoke. It got nowhere near my lungs. 
“What did these men look like?” Helmut asked.
“I don’t know,” I said. “But they spoke strangely, not English.”
“And this was in Carlisle?” He said looking at his notes. “So how did you end up on a train in Germany?”
“I remember changing vehicles somewhere. We were in a car. Then, I was put in the boot and told to be quiet. I was there for a long time. Then when they let me out, we were in Europe. I knew because you guys drive on the wrong side and we were going really fast.”
Helmut nodded.
“Finally we arrived in Hamburg. We stayed two nights in a disgusting hotel, there were bugs and everything,  and women downstairs who looked like whores. Then we met with a man at the train station. He gave the men money and they left me with him. He stank of BO and had greasy hair. He told me he’d kill me if I didn’t do what he said. We got on a train. I fell asleep, when I woke up, the new man was gone.”
Helmut was still staring at me, scrutinising my face. I’d finished my cigarette and reached out for the packet.  
“How did you get into East Germany with no passport?” Helmut asked reaching for his own fresh cigarette, he shook out the match with a flourish. 
“My abductor was with me at the border,” I said. ‘He had a passport for me.” I coughed.
“I see,” Helmut said, he scratched his chin, his stubble crackled. “Okay, tell me your address so we can contact your parents. They must be worried.”
“My name’s Tony Tonison, 14 Chester Place, Carlisle.” I said.
“And your phone number.”
“We don’t have a phone in my house.”
 Helmut looked confused for a moment before he remembered he wasn’t dealing with a German, this was a British subject. He stood up.

“I’ll call the British police and they will contact them. Someone will bring you food. I’ll take the cigarettes; you obviously do not smoke.”
For part three here and the final part click here (available on the 3rd August)

No comments:

Post a Comment