Monday 18 January 2016

Shepherd's Pie

For audio click here
I was standing at the sink peeling potatoes. I’d decided a shepherd’s pie would be a nice way to use up the mince. I was a bit bored of bolognaise, and lasagne was too fiddly; so a shepherd’s pie would be just perfect. I knew Sandra wasn’t that keen on it, but we hadn’t had it for a while and surely it would make a nice change. The radio was playing that uptown funk song and I was trying to sing along.
I heard a key in the lock and smiled.
“I’m in the kitchen love,” I yelled over the radio, but if she replied, I didn’t hear her. I heard her feet on the stairs, heavy, angry; another shitty day in work I guessed. I was beginning to wonder if it wouldn’t be better to switch and make bolognaise; it wasn’t too late. I’d pour her a glass of wine and ask her when she game down. I also flicked the switch on the kettle just in case a cup of tea was the order of the day.
I could hear her stomping around upstairs. I imagined her stripping off her skirt and tights and looking around for her tracksuit bottoms. I wondered if it might be fun to go up and join her; catch her half naked and see where that might lead. But from the heavy feet it sounded like any advance might be met with a heavy hand, so I continued with the spuds. The radio had changed songs. Iy was a generic pop song; one that I knew the words of but didn’t know who it was by. I vaguely sang along as I worked. The kettle clicked off. The clomping around had stopped but I hadn’t heard Sandra come back down stairs.
At first it tickled; kind of tingled. Then it stung, and then there was searing pain. Just below my right shoulder blade. My t-shirt felt warm and I felt weak. Sweat gathered on my forehead; was I having a heart attack? I tried to scream for help but no sounds came. My hands were clinging to the sink holding me up for as long as I could before I fell.
It was only when she called me a bastard, spat on the floor next to my head and I saw her black high heels walk away that I realised that what ever happened to me was caused by Sandra.
It was the pain that woke me up, a horrible nagging ache that dragged me unwillingly back to consciousness.
“Oh hello there,” a nurse said. “How are we feeling.”
“Pain.” was all I could say but on any other day I would have pulled her up on the use of we.
“When the doc comes we’ll see if we can give you some morphine.” she helped me take a sip of water.
“What happened?” I said.
“Well you were stabbed,” the nurse said. “But you’ll live.”

“Stabbed? I knew I shouldn’t have made shepherd’s pie.”



5 comments:

  1. oh, is that what we call a happy end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why he got stabbed... What could be the reason for hurting such guy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True... Gareth should write the same story from Sandra's perspective like he did many times in the past with other stories

      Delete
  3. Today I know why she did it: she discovered he followed BunnyRabbit on Instagram and flirted with her all the time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petra Goláňová23 January 2016 at 10:13

    “Stabbed? I knew I shouldn’t have made shepherd’s pie.”

    ReplyDelete