Friday 4 September 2015

Netflix and Chill 2

What a treat, a bonus story, why not show your gratitude by treating yourself to an ebook this weekend and put a smile on my face. Maggie's Milkman and Extraordinary Rendition are just £1.99 each. More details here. 

For part one click here
Another humdrum Cardiff day, class in the morning had been a little bewildering for me, so I’d spent the afternoon in the library reading about the theory of the novel and trying to work out what the hell that had to do with my writing. I was just packing up and thinking it was time to go home when I got a text from Sally.
After Lisa, Sally was easily my favourite course mate. I was a little jealous of her to be honest, she was a bit too good, a bit too clever, her writing was lovely, rich atmospheric. But she was kind and cute in a slightly overweight kind of way and had a smile that could light up a dark night like this. She was a bit older than the others, still nowhere near my age, but at least I wasn’t old enough to be her father. Well I was, but I would have needed to be a very randy 15 year old.
‘Fancy coming over for Netflix and Chill,’ the message read. I smiled to myself, I knew what it meant now, and a night in bed with that cuddly body was just what I needed after a tough day like this.
Texts pinged back and forth and it was arranged that I’d be there at 8.30.
I went home and took a shower, splashed some aftershave on and made sure the condoms in my wallet were in date. Then I put on my best shirt, and headed over to Sally’s with a ‘I’m just about to get it’ spring in my step.
I rang the doorbell and waited, Sally opened the door and smiled her killer smile, I felt my knees go a little weak; this was gonna be a good night. We went through to the living room, Sally’s flatmate was sitting in an armchair cupping a glass of wine.
‘This is Gina,’ Sally said.
‘Hi,’ I said, Gina smiled.
‘Sit down, I’ll pour you a glass,’ she said. I sat on the sofa and looked around the room, Sally, like me, had gone back into education and Gina worked for the Welsh Government it looked a bit better than your normal student flat. There was a smell of Asian food in the air and tasteful pictures on the walls, the large flatscreen TV was showing the rolling credits of a movie. Maybe the flatmate would leave us to it now her film was over, but no, Sally came in with the wine bottle and topped up her friend’s glass.
‘We thought we could go old school, how about Pretty Woman?’ Sally said to me.
‘Fine,’ I said. It wasn’t quite what I was expecting but it was one of my favourite films.
She sat next to me but not ‘next’ to me. She picked up the remote and did her smart TV magic which I’ve never quite understood and there was Julia Roberts getting dressed.
45 minutes in Gina stirred, ‘ Can you stop it, I need a pee,’ she said.
‘Okay bring the Pringles in,’ Sally said.
As soon as she was gone I shuffled along the sofa and put my arm around Sally, Gina would only be gone a few minutes, no time to waste.
‘What the fuck?’ Sally said standing up like she’d been electrocuted.
‘Netflix and Chill,’ I said by way of explanation.
‘What?’ She looked at me like she might kill me any minute.
‘It’s slang for, well you know?’ I said.
‘It is?’ she said a look of genuine horror in her eyes.
Gina came back in.
‘You could have got the Pringles yourself if you’re up,’ she said.

Sally settled back down on the sofa as far away from me as she could muster, noisily munching Pringles. Pretty Woman has never lasted so long.

Did you enjoy that? Put a smile on my face. Maggie's Milkman and Extraordinary Rendition are just £1.99 each. More details here. 

1 comment:

  1. Petra Goláňová5 September 2015 at 01:29

    "I'd spent the afternoon in the library reading about the theory of the novel and trying to work out what the hell that had to do with my writing.
    ... Then I put on my best shirt, and headed over to Sally’s with a ‘"I’m just about to get it’"spring in my step."

    ReplyDelete