Thursday 14 August 2014

Money for Nothing - A Steve Rant


‘You know what doesn't make any sense?’ Steve said putting down his pint and putting on his here’s the thing face.
‘No, but I sure you're gonna tell me.’ Johnny replied sarcastically.
Steve let Johnny’s lowest form of wit wash over his head. ‘It's that song Money for Nothing.’
‘The Dire Straits song?’ Johnny asked, not quite believing his ears.
‘Yeah.’
‘The one from 1984?’ Johnny was still checking he had the right song.
‘Yeah’ that’s the one money for nothing and the chicks for free.’
‘Nothing if not topical Steve. What made you think of that?
‘Well it was in the radio this morning, and I realised it's nonsense.’
‘It’s taken your nigh on 30 years to realise that! Come on then, why?’ Johnny said then did a face palm in his mind.
‘Well theyre singing it from the point of view of ordinary manual labourers aren’t they?’
Johnny nodded
‘Complaining about skiving singers aren't they? All that that ain't working, that's the way to do it stuff.’
Johnny nodded again. He knew full well what the song was about.
‘Well it seems to me rather callous to me, no not callous, smug, oh I don't know. I mean they’re pretending to be poor and complaining that pop stars have it easy, while actually enjoying the very trappings of fame that they’re complaining about. They’re bloody hypocrites.’
‘Maybe it's kind of apologetic, slightly ashamed of their lot.’ Johnny suggested.
‘Sounds more smug to me,’ Steve countered,  ‘almost like they are saying ha ha ha ha ha look what we have and we don’t really work for it. And then look at the line, we got to install Microwave ovens, who has a microwave oven installed? Every kitchen I’ve ever been in has the microwave just sat  there on the kitchen counter, doesn’t take much installing does it. It shows they are out of touch with the reality out of touch with the people they are claiming to be singing for.’
‘I used to live in a flat with a fitted microwave oven, you remember that one down the Bay.’ Johnny said.
‘Did you?’ Steve said searching his memory.
‘Yeah it was behind a cupboard door in the kitchen, I didn’t know I had it until I’d been there 3 months.’
‘Well that somewhat proves my point.’ Steve said. Pulling a face like that was QED.

‘You’ve lost me,’ said Johnny getting up to refresh their drinks. ‘Somewhere around 1984. ‘

If you like the cut of Steves job why not check out my new project 100 Days of Grumpiness


No comments:

Post a Comment