Thursday 10 July 2014

The Cupcakes Murder part 3



This is part three of the Cupcakes Murder for part one click here and part two here
I found Andrews as usual propping up the bar in Copelands, he looked the worse for wear. I ordered a drink for me and refill for the cop. He nodded his thanks waiting for me to speak.
‘What do you know about the Cupcakes murder?’ I asked him.
‘Nothing.’ he slurred back. I slid a note across the bar, he took it but stayed silent.
I waited.
‘Still nothing,’ he said. ‘There’s nothing to know. No leads, no clues, no one’s giving us anything, the whores were about as observant as a three blind mice.’ I noted he didn’t say anything about the barman and the sparkling tooth.
‘Forensics?’ I asked.
‘The bullet was clean, no records of the gun being used before. And Santa wears gloves so nothing on him from the perp. As I said we’ve drawn a blank.’
‘And that suits you?’
Andrews shrugged his indifference.
‘You think it’s an inside job?’ I asked.
He shrugged again, ‘word is that it isn’t someone close to Hristov, but it certainly was a hit. This was no accident, someone wanted Santa dead.’
Andrews finished his drink, I ordered a top up for him, left money on the bar and turned to go. I decided to keep the information Pete had told me about the tooth to myself for now.

Jenkins was a dirty, low down two-bit drug dealer, he was as bent as the day was long. God knows how he was still alive, he must have ripped off every hoodlum in town. He was the kind of guy that nobody talks to unless they want something and who speaks to no one unless there’s something in it for him. I wanted something.
‘What do you want Archer?’ He spat as soon as he saw me.
‘Good day to you too.’ I said, mostly because I knew it would piss him off.
‘I don’t have time for games,’ he said, which was a game in itself as he had more time than anyone.
‘What do you know about the Cupcakes murder?’ I smiled at him, watching his calculate the price. I handed him a note, he hesitated deciding if it was enough, then spoke.
‘Only that it has baffled everyone.’ he said. ‘Usually when this happens some big shot boasts about it to their mates but with this, there’s a stony silence. No one knows a thing.’ I looked at him, he seemed to be telling the truth, he had a habit of scratching his head when he was lying but now his hands were in his pockets.
‘So no word of a motive? No dispute between gangs?’
Jenkins shook his dirty head, I could almost see the lice crawling on his greasy hair.
‘Okay’ I said ‘but if you hear anything you tell me, okay.’
Jenkins was scum but actually was loyal, I knew he’d get in touch if anything happened but I didn’t expect it to, nothing was going to happen in this case.
I could see why the police had put in minimal effort, this was a piece of scum murdered by one of his own, it was already a cold case and getting colder by the minute. I’d sniff around a bit more but basically I’d have to tell Hristov that nothing’s doing.

I decided to head back to the office to pick up Molly. I’d take her for a drink, I liked talking cases over with her, she was a good listener and it helped me sort out my thoughts. But when I walked in to the office, I could tell there was something wrong.

Her smile was not quite her smile. She nodded towards the corner and there sat a tall, wiry man, a slightly gaunt look, a pistol in his hand and a smile that revealed his trademark diamond.

for part 4 click here

No comments:

Post a Comment