Friday 16 May 2014

The Woman with the Porcelain Neck part 1



This is the second Archer Stanley story for the first one click here

I decided to lay low for a little while to let the dust settle, the dame had paid me more than enough for a little holiday, so I spent two weeks on an island In the sun, drinking far too much, eating far too much and generally trying to forget I existed. When I got back things was pretty much as I’d left them, there were bills to be paid and small jobs to be done. But nothing very satisfying. I’d read in the news that Hristov had been released without charge but the child had been reunited with his mother. Apparently it was all one big misunderstanding but I still felt it was wise to keep my eyes open. The Bulgarians might still want to take revenge.

I sat at my desk wondering where to start, but the decision was made for me. The door swung open and in walked the last person I expected to see. Hristov Georgiev. I didn’t expect him to mete out retribution personally, why hire Santa and deliver presents yourself. It didn’t make sense, but my life seldom did.
‘It’s rude not to knock,’ I said realising that I was forever pointing out uncouth behaviour.
Hristov ignored my sarcasm and sat down uninvited. He stared at me, he was good but I was better, I knew he’d blink first.
‘Mr Archer.’ He said.
‘It’s Mr Stanley.’ Why could these jerks never remember a simple name? Again he ignored me.
‘I don’t like you but I’ve come to you because you’re the best in the business. I need you to find a girl.’
‘I thought you had lots of girls.’ I said but again the sarcasm was brushed aside with disdain.
‘Louisa is missing, Mr Stanley and I want you to find her.’
‘What’s in it for me?’
‘I’ll cover your expenses Mr Stanley and if you find her then you won’t have to look over your shoulder every time you step foot outside of this flea pit.’
What a cheek I thought, my office was 20 times more classy than Cupcakes.
Hristov passed a photo of Louisa across the desk. I recognised her immediately, she was the woman with the porcelain neck, the girl who had tipped me off about the child’s whereabouts.
‘Is she one of your girls?’ I filled the last word with contempt showing my distaste for that the racket that Hristov ran.
He nodded but there was something in his eye that told me she was a little more special, that she stood out from the crowd.
 ‘How long has she been missing?’ I asked.
‘About 3 weeks.’ He said.  I did the calculations, I might have been the last person to see her. Or maybe one of Georgiev’s goons had seen her talking to me and dished out his own punishment.
‘Why come to me now?’
‘I lose girls all the time Mr Arch... Mr Stanley, they run off home or some punter entices them away. But this one…’ Again his eyes told me all I needed to know.
‘How do you know she’s not run home?’ I said. He shook his head signalling he knew but was not about to tell me.
 ‘Why not the police?’ Georgiev looked at me like I was stupid. I got it, she was an illegal, doing an illegal job.
‘I’ll need full access,’ I said ‘full cooperation.’ Hristov looked at me not comprehending.
‘Those goons at the club’ I said. ‘And the girls, they all talk, no obstacles, no hurdles. You make it happen.’
Hristov nodded his agreement and stood up to leave. ‘Come to the club this afternoon. I’ll prepare everything for you.’ With that he left.

‘It’s rude not to say goodbye.’ I said to the empty space and then looked down at the photo of the woman with the porcelain neck.

For part two click here

No comments:

Post a Comment