Tuesday 6 May 2014

Krakow

‘So if I can't get the shoes in town then I am going to phone Pavel and we'll go to Krakow.’ Hanka said.
We were sitting in a coffee shop in Prague having a little catch up.  How should I describe Hanka? You know that song Two Princes by the Spin Doctors? Well I was the pauper in that song, the poorer suitor, the one with no future or family tree.
‘Today?’ I said a little surprised that someone would be planning a six hundred and 50 mile round trip when it was already 2pm and there was still shopping to be done, - no matter how fond of shoes they were. 
‘Yeah, they have that Polish shoe shop there, you know I love that shop.’
‘Okay, I said shrugging my shoulders and looking around for an overnight bag.
‘Will you stay the night?’
‘No, Pavel said he'd take me home.’ She smiled. I hated Pavel, he was the other prince, the one with diamonds in his pockets. He was also a push over, I would never have agreed to drive her to Poland even if I had a car but hed do anything to look good. 
‘Right well I hope you find them in Prague then’ I said, mostly because I didn’t want her spending all that time with Pavel.
‘Yeah but I've not been to Krakow so it might be fun.’ she replied.
‘Oh it's beautiful,
Have you been? She looked at me surprised. 
You know I have, I said, twice. I hope you have some time to do some sightseeing.’  
‘What are you talking about you crazy man?’ She said with that flirtatious smile that suggested despite Pavel’s big car, big, muscles and big seal upon his jacket that there might still be a glimmer of hope for me.
‘So I'm the crazy one here.’ I said return the flirt. ‘I'm not the one who's going all the way to Poland for shoes.’
‘Poland?’ She looked at me for a moment, the penny stubbornly refusing to drop. 'Who said anything about Poland?’ She said looking confused. ‘I'm not going to Poland I'm going to Prague 8.’ 
‘But you said Krakow’ I said indignantly, wondering if she was winding me up. ‘The Polish shoe shop!’
Ching the penny finally hit the pavement. Hanka smiled. 
‘Not Krakow Poland, Krakow that new shopping centre virtually next door to Pavel’s flat.’ 






4 comments:

  1. This sentence clearly explains why Hanka chooses Pavel over the narrator:

    I would never have agreed to drive her to Poland even if she had a car ...




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that is a typo It should be even if I had a car….
      But Pavel is doing things just to make him look good, the narrator is no push over. :-)

      Delete
    2. Doesn't really matter who has the car:) Maybe Pavel's a pushover only in the presence of his girlfriend as he is so fond of her, which is sweet:) Or is there any harm in using some good PR to make your beloved one happy? I think the narrator needs a good spin doctor:):)

      Delete
  2. Is Krakow a good place for shopping for shoes? Maybe I will try tomorrow as it happens I'm right here and I could do with a new pair...

    ReplyDelete