Wednesday 16 April 2014

The Furtive Glance Part 5





This is part four of the Furtive Glance for part one click here and part two click here and part three here and part four here


I woke up with my head complaining about the night before. My stomach wasn’t best pleased either. Weak sunlight filled my room, erotic thoughts filled my head. I stumbled to the kitchen and glugged down a glass of water; then I stared out of the window wondering what to do about the broad and the Georgievs. The Bulgarians didn’t scare me, I could handle myself, but there was still the nagging suspicion that there was something I didn’t know. Something important that the broad wasn’t telling me. Maybe I was looking too hard. Maybe it was just a case of the police not trying hard enough and that’s why she needed me.  But I didn’t like it. I took a pill, got dressed and headed out, I wasn’t sure where I was going but maybe fresh air would help me think and would help my cravings for a cigarette.
I walked until I found myself outside Cupcakes. God the place looked sleazy even in the cold light of day. It was already open for business, what kind of man uses a brothel at this time of the morning?
I had 24 hours to solve the case, but I didn’t have any leads, I didn’t know where Hristov lived or what else he owned. I needed a huge slice of luck and as it happened I was just about to get lucky.  A car pulled up outside the club, and out of it stepped an old woman and a young boy, the very young boy I was looking for. Hristov appeared from the bowels of the club, all smiles for his son. I guessed the woman was the grandmother, obvious really.  The trio walked down the street, closely followed by Santa; providing his own brand of security. I watched them go on ahead then followed them, watching my step, keeping my distance, making sure I could see them but they couldn’t see me. They were heading for the park, I guess the boy needed a run out. To be honest, they looked like any normal family, by looking at him, youd never have known Hristov was a sleazy son of a bitch, he looked like just a normal divorced dad out with his boy.

It was then I felt the pain, a dig to my ribs then as I bent double a knock out blow to the side of my head. 

I didn't know how long I lay unconscious but I woke to the sound of birds singing, that was because I was in a park, not because I was in a cartoon. My head throbbed, itd been one hell of a blow, not a fist but a baseball bat or something. I tried to get up but the world span so I decided to lay still. Eventually I managed to pull myself up. I checked my pockets, my wallet was there, this hadnt been a robbery, this was another warning, a shot across my bows.  The trio had long gone taking Santa and my attacker with them. Id got unlucky as quickly as Id got lucky. 
I headed to Copeland’s hoping the cop Andrews would be there, Id buy him a drink and see if I could get him to sing some more. But I didn't need to, before I could reach the bar I was intercepted by a fragile looking dame with tired eyes. She looked like a porcelain doll with pronounced green veins on her temple and neck. 
‘You Stanley Archer?’ she said, I confirmed my identity by correcting her word order. 
‘I know where the boy is,’ she said lowering her voice. 
‘Where’ I said knowing she wouldn't volunteer the info for free.  She had a look in her eye that told me she wasnt stupid. I bundled her into Copeland’s and ordered the drinks, my head was still throbbing from the blow, I hoped the alcohol would take the edge off. 
‘How much?’ I asked 
‘100’ she replied, it seemed a fair price, I fished some bills from my wallet and held them out in front of her. She went to take them but I was too quick. 
‘Speak lady,’ I said holding the notes just out of arms way.
‘Hes with his grandmother’ I already knew that ‘in the Grand Hotel.’ Now that was interesting. 
‘How do you know?’ I asked suspiciously.
‘I work for Hristov, I had to look after him yesterday.’ she said without missing a beat.
‘So why’re you telling me?’ 
‘Cos a kid needs his mother.’
‘Well, why not tell the police or his ex?’
‘Cos they won't pay. I know you will.’
I had to admire the broad she had balls. 
‘Careful’ she continued, ‘Hristov controls the Grand, his men are everywhere.’  I nodded my head in understanding, left the notes on the table and headed back out into the daylight.

I guessed this might have been a trap, so I took a little more care than usual. I found the Grand and headed into a bar opposite, the perfect place for a stake out. I’d settled in for the long haul but it didnt take long. In fact I hadn't even finished my first drink before the now familiar car pulled up and out got the boy and his grandma. That didnt surprise me but what happened next did. Cos who should come bounding down the steps to meet them, only the kid’s mother.

for part 6 click here 

No comments:

Post a Comment