Thursday 27 February 2014

Ghost in the Fog

It’s been a while since I’ve  done one of my song lyric stories where I intertwine lyrics from a song into a story. So here goes… the song is at the end. 


I must have seen the same face a thousand times, round here, over there, drinking coffee, shopping, waiting for the tram. It was a face that said don’t mess with me, my walls are crumbling and I just want to go about my business quietly. I want to be left well and truly alone. The happy look was grumpy, the neutral look was angry, the angry looked livid. I suppose if I had to come up with one adjective to describe that face it would be tired, tired of life or tired of something. The grey hair and grey beard gave an impression of being a ghost in the fog, dissolving into the background. 

But today I saw something I’ve never seen before, a smile. Not even a hint of a smile, but a real smile; exposing dimples and a sparkle in the eye that looked like it was designed to ignite smiles in others. A smile that made the clouds move, so the angels get a better view. No longer a face that says I’m thinking of jumping now a face that says I’m walking along the edge were the ocean meets that land, sunshine on my back. feet in the warm sea. 
There was nothing I could see that was causing the smile just a myriad of happy thoughts only in the head. Like good news delivered on wire in an circus. 


But I’d been staring for too long, I stepped away from the mirror, still smiling. 



12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little story full of meaning:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very precious little story:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fame doesn't make you more special than you already are, just means that more people knows it. I hope you be cool when you become a famous :-)
    So I would like to know you are alive every day of my life. So Blog to keep in touch so I won't be Alone with how special you are in my head.

    Cheers for your blog
    Cheers for your book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W52PP3lYlUs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Round here something radiates... this song is beautiful, pure poetry. Your story and this song are a perfect match I think:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but I would never dream to be as lyrical as the Counting Crows and stealing their lines is the greatest compliment I can pay them. (I hope)

      Delete
    2. You are welcome:) however, I think it requires talent to interweave the lyrics skillfully. I am listening to their other songs right now - exquisite!

      Delete
  6. I also like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSa1VtZhx2g&list=AL94UKMTqg-9BNnsdRLIPt5hXGXbwADn9r

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason today's story reminded me of this one. Maybe because it also has some element of yearning, yearning for happier yourself. I don't know:-) If you have no other idea, this could be an archive story

    ReplyDelete
  8. For ever love this story. I even thought about it on Tuesday when you wrote about fog in the air :-)

    ReplyDelete