Wednesday 21 August 2013

Foot in it.




I think I might have put my foot in it. Maggie had been whinging, she has a right to whinge, she has a shit job and a demanding boss who gets her to work all the hours god sends. She’s being milked dry by a company who don’t give a damn for the welfare of their employees as long as targets are hit and money saved. Did I upset her? Judge for yourself, this is how the conversation went.
‘You know what I’d be better off being a prostitute.’
‘No, don’t even joke about that kind of thing, it’d be a horrible job.’
‘Seriously, if I was ten years younger I’d consider it anything’s got to be better than this shit.’
Now at this point I should have said something else along my earlier line of thought.
Something like, stop being silly, or don’t be daft or maybe talked about the drugs and violence that is an everyday part of a prostitute’s life. That even her boss is better than a violent, abusive pimp.
But no, I didn’t bother engaging brain, I just spoke.
‘Why ten years younger, I’d pay you for sex now.’
It was meant to be a compliment, in my mind it was a nice thing to say, surely I was saying she still had it but I could tell by the way her face contorted that there was nothing complimentary about the words. Within minutes her drink was finished and she said she had to rush off to an engagement she'd suddenly ‘remembered’.
So here I sit, my foot well and truly in it, wondering how I can undo the undoable.

6 comments:

  1. ‘Seriously, if I was ten years younger I’d consider it anything’s got to be better than this shit.’ Maggie rememberd yesterday's words and they raced through her mind over and over again. She really hoped he would say someting like "A wonderful girl like you can't have thoughts like that." But he was as sarcastic as always. "I have nothing to lose," she thought " The only guy I am interested in just doesn't give a fuck about me. And some of those young guys at work would do everything to spend the night with me... life is to short to spend it being milked dry by the people who think they are more important then everybody else. I really deserve some pleasure and fun... and easy money."

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you thinking about "Black hole", "wormhole"? or..paradoxes? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. multiple stupidities:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.. Regrets and resentments are all crap.. No matter if the solutions are Doraemon's pocket or Hawking's "mad scientist" paradox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. talking about complicated phenomena in physics, this is a nice read: http://www.relating360.com/index.php/the-relationship-between-quantum-physics-and-love-27682/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Foot in it you say? big mouth strikes again in today's story?

    ReplyDelete