Wednesday 19 June 2013

Someone Safe


‘Rescue me’ she whispered to me. Her big eyes pleading with me behind her even bigger glasses, that I suspected were more about style than prescription.
After the departure of the qtip thief, the party had just about returned to normal, the host was still grumbling in the corner, telling anyone who would listen about the betrayal of trust but otherwise most of us were back to having fun.
‘What’s up?’ I said only too willing to rescue Jess from whatever drama she was going through. I liked Jess, her smile made me smile and her jokes made me laugh, but the fact she had a boyfriend chipped a little corner off my heart. 
‘It’s my boyfriend,’ she nodded to the big bloke in the corner of the room with a face like thunder. ‘He’s being an ass. ’
I nodded sympathetically while wondering if I wanted to get involved in this.
‘He’s jealous’ she continued, ‘cos I was chatting to somebody and he thinks I fancy him. I was only chatting, why does he get so angry? Am I not allowed to talk to men now? Jesus he’s such a child, he's so prickly these days.
I don’t want to talk to him anymore. But I’m safe with you, he won’t be jealous of you.’
Charming, I thought to myself. What the hell did that mean? My first thought was to tell her to fuck the hell off, I mean why would I be deemed not worthy of jealousy? I’m single, not unattractive. Did she think I was gay or not interested or just not on her scale?  But on the other hand there seemed to be a challenge thrown down. If they thought I was safe, I was going to have to show them otherwise. I’d have to turn on the charm and seduce that girl to give that idiot something to be jealous of. 

2 comments:

  1. I think if the protagonist really seduced the girl, he would save her from a jealous jerk... if it is a problem before people get married it will be a total disaster later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might find out what happens tomorrow :-)

      Delete