Friday 25 April 2014

Roman Nose*


Damn the archive story went to the top again. 
Bloody annoying this but nothing I can do. Todays story is here SFAIC
Star denotes out of place archive story. 

‘I was only joking’ I implored her, ‘honestly.’
The look on her face suggested that she wanted to smash every tooth in my head; she was not a happy bunny and I was in the doghouse.
My crime was my sense of humour and my deadpan delivery. She'd asked me for one adjective to describe her nose, surreal I know but still that was the way her brain worked and that was why I loved her. I could have chosen pretty, I could have chosen cute but no, I chose Roman, a Roman nose.
As soon as I said it, I realised I was in trouble, I watched as the flames rose inside her. I thought the joke was so obvious she would laugh, her nose was the least Roman I'd ever seen. But I was learning quickly you didn't joke about these things. 
The best of OMD was playing on the stereo and as Andy McClusky started singing about Joan of Arc I thought that I might know how she felt.
‘Sweetness,’ I pleaded ‘sweetness, it was a joke, your nose is the cutest, prettiest, loveliest nose I’ve ever seen.’
I stroked her nose with the back of my curled index finger, she recoiled, pushing my hand away and looking at me like I had no right to take my place in the human race. But I persisted, I wasn’t gonna let my bigmouth strike again and ruin what had been a lovely evening. I smiled my cheekiest smile and kissed her nose. She pulled away again but this time not so quickly and not so violently. I tried again, another kiss on that ‘roman’ nose.  Was that just the smallest hint of a smile, had she started to melt? Was tenderness replacing the steeliness in her eyes? Yes I believe it was.

So to round off the me and my big mouth week, this story was one of my song stories. Where I intertwine lyrics of a song into the story being told. And no doubt you've guessed the song. 



4 comments:

  1. cute story:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today's Snow Storm story is about inability to forgive and it is quite depressing.... :-( so maybe the archive story should be about a woman who forgives? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today's first poem reminded me of this story only because there was a word "Roman" in it (and this is not a word you see every day). And when I read it I thought it is a nice juxtaposition for the third poem today, where potential lovers or friends are treated like products in a supermarket - you judge them by their "cover" giving them likes if you find them attractive and ignoring them if they seem just plain (I don't know how you collect pokemons but probably in the same way).This above story is about authentic relationships and it is much more poetic. And funnier.

    ReplyDelete