Wednesday 15 May 2013

Damn Squirrels



It was the first day that it was warm enough to have my windows open for pleasure rather than just for a quick blast to air the room. Spring had finally sprung after seemingly being coiled so tight for far too long. A magpie chirped in the tree outside my window while two black squirrels frolicked playfully in the branches. Occasional clouds covered the sun but the sky was mostly blue and the sun was warm. The camera on my brand new iPhone 5 snapped the scene, with me trying to get the perfect picture of squirrels for my Facebook wall.

A cup of tea was in order, I padded my way bare foot into the kitchen to boil the kettle and make myself a refreshing start to the day. Actually it was my third cup that morning and my clock on the wall was just about to chime in the afternoon but I deserved a lazy day after the week I’d had. As I was fetching the milk from the fridge I heard an almighty commotion coming from my bedroom. I put the milk down next to the steaming mug and went to investigate.
I couldn’t believe my eyes, I just caught the sight of a  bushy tail disappearing out of the window telling me that one of the two impish squirrels had been in my room! 
Oh well nothing I could do, the creature had been and gone. I went back and finished the tea, fishing out the tea bag and adding the milk. I put the tea on my bedside table and looked for my phone so I could continue my photography but it wasn’t there. I padded back to the kitchen, maybe I had put it down in there while making the tea but I couldn’t see it. I even checked the fridge to see if I’d put it away instead of the milk but no, no sign.
Ah the best way to find it would be to ring it. I opened up my computer and punched my number into Skype.

As soon as I heard the tone there was a terrible commotion in the tree outside my window and I saw the blur of two squirrels shooting off in different directions. Oh god had those bloody squirrels snatched my £600 iPhone and now treating it as a nutcracker? No it must be on my bed,  I could hear it but where was it? I threw off the duvet but no luck,  it was nowhere to be seen. I peered out of the window, could I see something glinting in the tree? How the hell would those pesky squirrels manage to carry an iPhone?   I was beginning to lose it, beginning to panic. I had to tell myself to be calm. I listened again, the noise was coming from inside the room I was sure, but where? I threw my pillows onto the floor and the noise got louder. There it was, wedged between the bed and the wall. Relief flooded my body, I clutched my phone tightly and vowed never to let it out of my sight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment