Tuesday 19 November 2013

The Phonecall



It was Kate who registered first. The sound of London’s Burning was not in her dream but was the phone ringing. She stretched out an arm to check her clock. 1.30 who the hell could be calling at 1.30? She threw off the duvet, put her feet in her slippers and walked sleepily over to the phone.
‘Huh.’ Dan shot bolt upright. He had come to and realised the phone was ringing.
‘Who the fuck is that? What time is it?’ His heart was racing.
‘1.30’ Kate’s voice was thick with phlegm. ‘S’alright, you stay there. I’ll answer it.’ Kate was up now, she wanted her man to stay warm in bed. 
‘Shit’ Dan realised that it was either trouble or a nuisance caller. His natural instinct was to protect. He leapt out of bed and rushed towards the phone. He pushed past Kate.
‘S’alright’ she repeated but Dan had snatched the phone from its cradle.
‘Hello, Hello!’ Dan looked at Kate ‘Nothing, just the tone.’
‘Okay, wrong number. Let’s go back to bed.’
They went back to bed and huddled close to each other in order to to regain warmth; once warm they both turned over, trying to get back to sleep. But sleep evaded them.

Why was Kate so keen to answer it? Did she think it was going to be for her? Surely she knows that it’s what perverts want, to hear a girl’s voice, then they can start their act, then start moaning, groaning, doing whatever those sickos do. But she wanted to answer it; maybe it wasn’t some sicko, maybe it was for her. But who would call her at this time of night and why would they hang up? Unless of course, they didn’t expect to hear my voice. I bet it was that bloody Rupert from her office. That posh bloody twat, he thinks he can just flash his money around and steal my woman. I bet she’s sleeping with him, that’s probably where she was tonight, not out with the girls at all, but round his place, eating his food, having sex with him. The slut. The cow. He was probably phoning to say what a wonderful evening it was and when he got me he just hung up. Well I’ll not letting her get away with it. If she’s playing away from home I will too. I reckon that Claire’s up for it. I’ll let her see what Dan Jones is made of, that’ll teach Kate a lesson. Fuck! it’s ringing again. 

Why was Dan so keen to answer it? He almost knocked me over to get to the phone first. God doesn’t he think I can handle myself? If it was some perv, I would have given him what for, I can give as good as I get. I’m not gonna let some sicko get his kicks from me. Maybe it wasn’t a sicko at all, maybe it was for Dan, but who would call at this time of night and why would he say the line went dead as soon as he answered it? Why would he lie to me? It was probably Claire from his office. That common slag, she thinks she can flash her legs around and steal my man. I bet he’s sleeping with her. Maybe she was phoning up with a code, just a one liner, ‘bring condoms tomorrow, we’ll have some fun’, then she hung up to make it look like a wrong number. He’s arranged to meet her tomorrow the bastard. He’s gonna shag her. I bet it’s not  first time either. Well I’m not gonna let him get away with it. If he’s having fun behind my back I’ll do the same to him. I’ll give in to Rupert. He’s been coming on to me. Well I’ll let him get what he wants. Fuck! it’s ringing again.

Mandy hated the night shift; Craig the hotel manager always made her send faxes, he claimed that it was cheaper to do it overnight, but Mandy despised the fax machine; it never seemed to work for her. She cursed as she came back from the toilet to see the fax she thought she had sent still sitting in the feed tray. She hit the redial button and hoped it would go this time.  


I was challenged to make an audio version - Challenge accepted - it's not the greatest but it is quite amusing.




4 comments:

  1. haha:) love it. That's how thinks work but we don't ften realize that...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) interesting effect when you hear their thoughts simultanously:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! sounds great! .. you've got me crystalised cos I've been listening "Crystalised" by The xx.. were you floating into my head too?.. listen it till the end
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8OTD6QJ0iY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gareth, just a short note to let you know that the last sentence in this story should be removed as it spoils the view:) you've written exactly the same thing under the picture. just delete this comment

    ReplyDelete