Tuesday 15 April 2014

Balls




Grr Blogger has moved this archive story to the top again. If you are looking for today’s story click here. 

I was going to say the winter wind ripped through my jacket as I hunched my body against the cold and waited for my tram. But this was March the 21st so this was a spring wind carrying the evil ghost of winters past. The couple next to me seemed oblivious to the elements, ensconced as they were in an embrace that tabloid newspapers would call ‘steamy’. My Czech is not up to much but it was obviously a heartfelt goodbye with plenty of I love yous and I'll miss yous in between the kisses. They were teens - 16 17 years old, she was a pretty lass and looked like she knew it, him a real dude - so cool I wondered if he was contributing to the sub-zero temperatures. To my relief the tram arrived and I could hop quickly into the warmth. She on the other hand could barely pull herself away from the hands of her lover. Once seated, she looked longingly out of the window and gave a sad little wave.
But as the tram pulled off with its space odyssey chimes* her demeanour changed. As soon as the dude was out of sight she was no longer the lovesick puppy but the preening, smiling teen. A mirror appeared and she did her make up with the pace and skill of someone twice her age. Just two stops later she was up and ready to leave the tram. It seemed such a short distance for such sincere goodbyes. But if I was surprised that she was already getting off the tram it was nothing to my shock of seeing her run straight into the arms of another ‘dude’, another teen so cool he was affecting the climate. Their welcome embrace matched the passion of the farewell just moments before.
Was she brave, foolish, cheeky, naïve?  Didn’t she know it would eventually end in tears? Her 1st guy was only 100 metres or so away, her second in her arms, presumably both oblivious to the existence of the other. For such a young girl she certainly had a set of balls, in fact she had two. 


Hey did you enjoy this? If so then Check out my novel Maggie’s Milkman. Clikc on this message for details. Just 3 Pounds and 9 pence. 

*new trams in Prague sound like this music when they move away from a tramstop. 

3 comments:

  1. I wonder what reasons she had... maybe it was because of him? maybe he was too boring, too lazy, didn't satisy her sexually? Or maybe their was sth wrong with their relationship? Are we going to discover?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But which one? which one was too boring? Maybe she was just young and could afford to take chances, the tears won't be her own.... or will they.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe, she is selfish and wants to choose the best before saying goodbye to another .. maybe one of them knows of the existence of the other and it isn't about being brave but coward.. a hard decision for a young heart against the wall with those balls:-)

    ReplyDelete