Thursday 13 December 2012

Romance is dead? Long live Romance




‘Knowing what romance is, doesn’t make me a romantic,’ I said indignantly. ‘I know what fascism is but that doesn’t make me a fascist does it?’ I was impressed with my analogy, even if she wasn’t. ‘Any idiot can make a romantic gesture if they have an ounce of intelligence and a credit card.’ I was on a roll now. ‘A big bunch of flowers, a real fire with shadows dancing on the walls, a candle-lit dinner, saying I love you in the moonlight. All ‘romantic’, but so often just empty and meaningless.’
‘But it’s nice, it shows you care,’ she countered.
‘Bollocks it does. It shows you can mimic something. There’s no originality. It’s a one-sized fits all, off the shelf romance.’
‘So what is romance then?’
‘Romance doesn’t exist. It’s a made up concept; peddled by the marketers, swallowed by the gullible.
‘God! I’d hate to be your girlfriend.’
‘No you wouldn’t, well yes, you would, but for other reasons.’ We smiled at each other, we were best friends but we could never be lovers. ‘Just cos I don’t believe in romantic gestures, doesn’t mean I don’t care. But I am not going to be duped into behaving in way that advertisers want me to.’
‘So you never buy Jess flowers then? Or take her out for a candlelit supper?’
‘Nope?
‘So what do you do then?’
‘It’s about the little things, remembering times you did things together; remembering what she likes' not falling into routines, not saying things like have a good day because you should, but saying them because you mean them.  That my friend...’ I left a dramatic pause, ‘is showing you care.’
‘Poor Jess, that woman is a saint. I’d rather spend the night in a forest with no tent and no torch than be your girlfriend. Women like the big gestures. We want them, it makes us feel special. Hey, why don’t you buy Jess some flowers today?’
‘No way! What would she think? I may as well put a sign up above my head saying I’m having and affair and have a red arrow pointing at it just in case she missed it.’
‘You are incorrigible’ said Susie as she made her way to the bar to refill our glasses.
I sat back, smiled to myself and, when I was sure Susie wasn’t looking, I had a quick peek at the engagement ring I’d bought for Jess that very morning. 

4 comments:

  1. oh, no extreme approach is good here - balance is what we should strive for:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting story. His philosophy is ok and I must say I don't like empty words either, and bunches of flowers etc... but where is Jess here? Has anybody asked her? Doesn't she just feel like one of his best friends, just a little "more available" than others? A woman needs to feel exceptional, otherwise she will be hurt every day (while he is perfectly satisfied with his performance:))... I know this type of men, who are afraid to pronounce the words of affection as they consider them clichés; even if they propose it is like: "You are free, I am free, we like each other, so maybe it will not be a bad idea"...... it will work until this woman meets someone who will really appreciate her saying that he has never met someone like her before. That's life:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the same Jess as in this Undercover story?
    http://garethsshortstoryblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/undercover.html

    I understand now why she has to resort to seeking attention from other men... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, but sometimes women need confirmation they are special, better than all the rest or number one like in Blondie's song

    ReplyDelete